Monday, August 20, 2012

Notes and Lists

Do you take notes or make lists?  I have been a note taker and list maker since a young age.  It's not necessarily because I am forgetful.  Note taking keeps me focused on the speaker if listening to one, and also allows me to keep the most important highlights from articles that I read.  List making, one of my favorite practices, allows me to keep a log of my progress as I am able to cross out completed projects or items purchased.  I LOVE crossing things off!

I have many interests and am forever perusing books, magazines, and the web learning new things.  Notebooks are a fun way to keep track of all this information.  Yes, it is possible to keep all of this information in files on my computer as well.  However, I happen to be one of those people that likes to hold the book or piece of paper in my hand.  I prefer not to constantly refer to my computer screen.

My Palm Pilot is always with me, where I do have myself organized, complete with alarms so as not to forget important life events.  I have been a PDA user since the early 90's when my husband gifted me with a Casio B.O.S.S. Caring for my mother along with homeschooling my children had begun to overload my mental memory abilities to the point that I had forgotten a couple of important appointments within a short time.  He was very sagacious in his discernment that I needed a little help in my daily life.  From that point forward, I have not been without my PDA.  A Palm TX is my current model which I found on ebay new from a company that had purchased too many for their employees.  They were offering them, still in boxes, for $100 complete with wireless keyboard and metal case.  That was a savings of 66%, at the time, which made me happy.

Many friends have smart phones that will do all the same functions as my PDA and more.  It would be nice to carry one device in place of my phone, personal recorder, and PDA, but such a device is not in my budget right now.

On my nightstand, within easy reach, is a small notebook and pen.  During the night, I occasionally think of something that I know I will have forgotten by morning.  Writing it down in the notebook saves me hours of sleeplessness trying to organize it into my brain in a way that I won't forget it.  

Being organized does take work, but is so beneficial to my well being.  Once you have yourself organized to your own satisfaction you will find yourself less stressed and better prepared for life and what it brings.  There are a lot of books that can help you with organization.  A few of my favorites are:

Emilie's Creative Home Organizer (Barnes, Emilie)
The Quick-Fix Home Organizer: Making Your Home Beautiful and Your Life Clutter Free
Tiptionary 2
Is There Life After Housework?: A Revolutionary Approach to Cutting Your Cleaning Time 75%
How to Have a 48-Hour Day: Get Twice as Much Done as You Do Now!
Weekend Makeover


No comments:

Post a Comment